FTC Review Disclosure

Review

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tell me lies

As I was reading recently, and getting frustrated at the H/h for not being honest with each other, I began to wonder is honesty always the best policy? For the most part, yes. Being free of lies is better for you. You have two options to prevent living with lies.

1. Don't do anything you have to lie about.
2. If you mess up, fess up.

Why am I talking about this? Because lies and misunderstandings are a staple of the romance genre. Could be the H/h has a past they don't want shared, maybe they know something that will cause their lover pain, they screwed up and don't want to face the music, or my personal favorite convenient amnesia.

Convenient amnesia - either the hero or the heroine can not remember the past or certain events. Their significant other decides to keep information that might cause waves to themselves.

Example
Amnesiac: "Is there anything I should know?"

"Nope, nothing comes to mind."
As the reader, the little white lies trope is frustrating to me. I know the next several chapters are going to be spent digging a deeper hole until BOOM! Everything goes sideways and the truth comes out. Now we get chapters of  "How can I trust you?" "Let me make it up to you." Yadda, yadda, yadda. If the liar deserves the comeuppance, I say make 'em grovel. They deserve it. We all know it will be HEA in the end so make it interesting.

Made a bet and then fell in love? You deserve it. 
Kept vital information from your H/h that they needed to know ASAP? You deserve it. 
Messed around with someone else (rarely see this one)? Yeah, you deserve it.

Here is the part where I blow your mind. Sometimes, you have to lie. Let's say the hero has major issues, would the heroine be willing to deal with that before she fell in love with him? When we love someone, we are willing to put up with a lot. A. Lot. I am not taking on the airport full of emotional baggage for a guy that might be the one.

A book I recently read had a man come home to his pregnant bride after suffering memory loss. Problem is, pregnant bride is not his bride. They were going to get married but because of a fight he left for the war before the wedding. She decides not to tell him the truth. The man is stressed, has PTSD, and over the moon about the baby on the way. Who cares if they are not really married? Let's not mess with the man. Right? I think so but of course he finds out. When do they always find out? At the worst possible moment. It's a law. 

F^*%!! Why now?

Conclusion
Lies, are they okay or not? I still have no definitive answer. Do I want to be lied to? No. Hades would get in trouble for lying to me. I would get in trouble for lying to Hades. Doesn't mean we don't keep some things to our selves. What are your thoughts? I feel like I just talked myself in circles.  

A book in hand is better than two on the shelf.
-Seph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fabulous!