FTC Review Disclosure

Review

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Interview with Cherise Kelley


*The Genesis Round*

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I have a pressing, urgent need to communicate, and that motivates me to write.


What books have influenced your life most? 
The Bible. I am a born-again Christian.

Do you have a specific writing style? 
So far, the vast majority of my writing is non-fiction. I write in what my own 10th grade English teacher called "cookbook ease." I aim to explain things so that everyone will understand.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? 
Just getting myself to do it is the toughest challenge in my writing. I am a terrible procrastinator!


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 
Everyone at kboards Writer's CafĂ©.



*The Philosophy Round*

Is there a message in How I Got Him to Marry Me: 50 True Stories that you want readers to grasp? 
Yes! I don't want women to settle for living together.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 
Yes! You deserve marriage. Insist on marriage.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
 Every one of the sixty women I interviewed for this book taught me something different. You will have to read the book to find out what! :)


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
I would ask for longer stories!

*The Shameless Display of Affection Round*

How did you come up with the idea for this book? What was the inspiration?
This book idea has been nagging at me for years! It was inspired by all the women I know who have settled for just living together when they deserve marriage.



Do you have a favorite story in "How I Got Him to Marry Me"?
Yes! #9 is my favorite. I have offered to publish a novel-length version, and she is working on it! I have a mailing list you can sign up on to be notified when a novel-length version of one of these "marry me" stories is published. Sign up here!



Your bachelor's degree has allowed you to teach college, middle and high school. What is your favorite thing about teaching?

I love explaining things to people!


To have time for writing, you mostly substitute now. When I was a kid, I loved having a substitute, but some kids liked to prank them. Ever been pranked by your students?
Oh yes, more times than I can count! The funniest was when they stuck gum to the earpiece on the phone. I didn't notice it was there, and I kept saying to the office, "Hello? Hello? I can't hear you. Hello?"



*The Proverbial Round*

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? 
The late Robert Jordan springs to mind when you ask about favorites. He was great at incorporating new characters into a story and bringing them back later in surprising ways.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? 
I am reading all indie authors now, and they all amaze me! You can follow my reading adventures by friending or fanning me on Goodreads. 

What book are you reading now?
I am re-reading Sarra Cannon's Peachtree saga. 


Do you have any advice for other writers? 
 To steal a line from Nike: Just do it.



*Upcoming Events*

What is next for you? Any works in progress?
I am writing the sequel to Dog Aliens 1: Raffle's Name.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are fabulous!